View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 07:02   #13
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTx View Post
I mean that I don't put a taper crimp, on my reloads. At one time, most seating/crimp dies for straight wall ACP cases came with a taper crimp instead of a roll crimp die. Those cases are supposed to head-space on the mouth.

I don't crimp them, just straighten the case wall.

Somewhere around 1982, I had called a CS rep. at RCBS about something and remarked that I had been using their taper crimp die for the 45 ACP to put a taper crimp on my 45 Colt reloads, instead of a roll crimp. Right after that, they started making taper crimp dies, for rimmed revolver cases. I don't believe it was a huge success, though.
So if you donít use a taper crimp die to remove the bell on the case on a 45acp case. What die do you use? Your only other choice is a roll crimp die and that is something you donít use on a 45acp die. Taper crimp die is for just removing the bell on the case. You really are not crimping anything.
The taper crimp die for a 45 long colt. Unless you are shooting cowboy loads. Not using a roll crimp is a good way for the bullet to move forward of the case when shooting and lock up the cylinder.
GSSF Life Member