Thread: winter storm .
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 22:02   #18
plp

WARNING, POLITICAL RANT!!!

I'm an Alabama redneck, while born in Indiana, have hailed from the South all but the first 6 months of my life. I'm a construction gypsy, due to the fact I can't support my family in a sustainable manner locally due to economy, and have spent the past 30 years on the road, wherever someone needs a power plant, military base, refinery, or major industrial development built.

I have multiple jobs I can't discuss, due to signed confidentiality agreements, and have 7 cards in my wallet that required people in black suits question my neighbors.

I am willing to do whatever is required, to see that I provide me and mine with the best I can. That mindset has a lot to do with why I post on this website.

Today, at 5:45 AM, I sat on the side of the road in Sioux City, Iowa in -10 temps and rounded up several noobs for orientation at a construction site. While doing so, I observed car tags entering the facility.

Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Virginia and Iowa, in order of frequency. I saw exactly 3 Iowa tags. This is on a job site with over 600 personnel.

At the bar tonight, I was one of three rednecks in a crowd of probably fifty. Two from Alabama, and one from Louisiana.

I am a gregarious type, find good people everywhere, and tonight was no exception, lots of genuinely decent folks out for a good time. While an introvert by nature, I"m also an optimist and look for the best in people, and am rarely disappointed.

I asked everyone I talked to about the weather, and here is the general consensus, from November to April they drink beer, have sex, and draw unemployment. Their goal is to produce Democrats in numbers to sustain their way of life. That is 6 months out of the year, devoted to decadence and debauchery.

My mother is from Iowa, and I remember coming to her hometown as a kid. Farmers all, hard workers, traditionalists and fiercely independent. Very conservative, while no idea about their politics, would believe they did not approve of LBJ and waved flags when Nixon took office.

Enter the 1970's, and farm subsidies. Subversion took hold, the short term fix to pay the mortgage and crop loans perverted the long term value system, and by the 1990's they went from red to blue.

What does this have to do with winter storms? Just my observation, that today's political climate dictates that desperate Southerners must travel 1200 miles from home, to work in sub zero temps, to provide sustinance for native Iowans so they do not have to leave the comfort of their hearth to earn their daily bread.
plp is offline   Reply With Quote