View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 17:31   #23
steve4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
I guess my problem with QuickLoad is "Who says so?". For all the data that is presented have there been ANY actual calibration measurements? Where did the equations come from? Where did the powder burn rate info come from? Where did the science come from? Who says so?

I'm neither for nor against QuickLoad. It's kind of expensive and I still don't know "Who says so?". Despite all the money I spend on shooting, I just can't justify this expense. For me...

We have to assume that reloading manuals are providing safe data. Some manuals are clearly safer than others. Those manuals that have been scrubbed by lawyers seem to have the lower MAX loads but I might feel comfortable using any published data as long as I worked up slowly. Tens of thousands of reloaders use these manuals every day and most of them do so safely.

So, I decided to go with Sierra for rifle loads. My pistol loads are middle of the road and just about any manual will do. Of course, my rifle loads are just middlin' velocity as well.

Richard
I can't answer your questions about QL as to how it works or why it works or "Who says". I can tell you that is is a very complex computer program with the guts and the workings well beyond anything either one of us know anything about or ever will.
It's kinda like asking NASA, "Who Says" when it comes to their mathematical and computer generated solutions for space travel. We watch it and we see it, but the average Joe will never understand it.

As for your decision to "go with Sierra" data for your rifle loads, Why?
Sierra does not list actual tested pressures like the powder manufacturer's and Lyman does. Why is that? Answer, they do not know what the actual pressure of the tested loads is or was.
Sierra does not have or use pressure testing equipment, they guess just like you and I do with fallible and inaccurate techniques. Techniques like CHE and PRE, reading primers, chrony data and all the other "shoot-em and Look for signs" techniques. Of all the data available, I trust Sierra the least. As a matter of fact, if I had to choose between QL and Sierra, I would go with QL hands down evey time.