View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 12:57   #20
themighty9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
A lot of times that easier said than done. Load data varies from one data source to the next often times it is impossible.

For example.

Hodgdon data. 223 Rem, 60gr Hornady V-Max, 2.250 OAL.
Varget Powder, Start=25gr, Max=27.0gr.

Hornady Data. 223 Rem, 60gr Hornady V-Max, 2.250 OAL.
Varget Powder, Start=21.7gr, Max=24.9gr.

It is not uncommon to find a situation like this where the Max charge in one manual is less than the "Start" charge in another. Same bullet, same OAL, same powder, yet completely different results.

As I said, staying within book data is often time difficult if not impossible. Quickload is certainly not perfect, but neither are the loading manuals.
And this is exactly where I ran into issues. Of my three manuals, the two that had relevant info in them are in a very similar situatioin to as you described. Though I did not see any pressure signs in the cases or primers. I have decided to back off the powder charge, and in this case ignore the lyman data. (Even though the lyman data shows I am well within what is acceptable) Instead I will listen to speer. With the quickload showing near identical velocities, and telling me. "hey, you are pushing the upper limit, watch yourself". I will go ahead and listen to it as well. As it also apparently seems to support what speer is telling me.

I did not know about the quickload program before. First time I had heard of it

Last edited by themighty9mm; 09-08-2013 at 13:00..
themighty9mm is offline   Reply With Quote