View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 19:30   #9
Atlas
transmogrifier

I did it and it worked great for me.
The stippling did flatten a bit, only in a very small area at the backstrap.
When I get time I will sand it down smooth and probably use the soldering iron method to re-stipple it.

In an abundance of caution, I did this-
I took a kitchen sponge and cut it into strips.
I disassembled a magazine, soaked a strip of sponge with water, then stuffed it into the magazine, and left it in the freezer overnight.
Then before beginning the reduction procedure I inserted the frozen mag.

If I had it to do again I might not bother with all that...

Here's the thing...
You must go very slowly.

You hold the pistol (pointing upward of course so the backstrap is facing down toward the candle) well above the candle flame.
You begin with the backstrap so far above the candle flame that it doesn't really heat the plastic much at all. Then you begin to lower it toward the flame a little at a time, while checking with your finger to get a feel for how far to hold the pistol so that it begins to slowly heat up the plastic.

Move the pistol back and forth over the flame to spread the heating effect across the backstrap surface.

It is plastic, keep that in mind. So here's the thing... there is a point where you are just close enough to the flame that the plastic heats slowly but steadily.
You have to discover this point so that the plastic will heat throughout the thickness of the plastic, enough to just begin to soften it.

Important point: You're looking for a point where the plastic is hot enough that it can be deformed under pressure, but NOT hot enough to begin to melt the surface of the plastic.

So, periodically press the pistol backstrap down hard against a table or other hard surface.

Important point: you will not heat the plastic enough that you can flatten the backstrap all at once.

So it's an iterative process...
Heat, press hard, enough to flatten it just a tiny bit.
Heat, press again to get a little more.
Repeat as needed.
It may take 8 or 10 cycles.

When you remove the plastic from above the flame to press it down against the tabletop, it will of course begin to cool immediately, so you must move quickly.

Some say they used a Glock mag-loading tool ('cause its cheap) to practice a bit first, to learn how to heat it without causing damage.

Important point: You can get more change (flattening) down near the bottom of the grip toward the mag-well than you get up higher toward the slide, because of the overall shape of the backstrap.
Down toward the mag well is where you really need it most though, because that's where the hump is most pronounced.

I wouldn't even try to get any flattening up higher.. I would advise focusing only on the hump down at the bottom of the grip as a starting point. Get that hump flattened down a bit and see how that feels first.

My hands are little-girl tiny. I did this on.... my G19.
The G19 was OK before I did this procedure, but afterwards it feels like it was custom-made for my hand.

Yeah, I'll have to sand and re-stipple that tiny area at the rear of the grip.
For me it was more than worth it.

Does it effect the resale value? Almost certainly a bit.
I couldn't possibly care less about that. I would would never part with it, at any price.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY

Last edited by Atlas; 09-08-2013 at 18:20..
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote