View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 07:20   #20
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
Intelligence is the limit on how much you can be taught. Education is teaching you the stuff.

Think of it like this - intelligence is the size of the glass, and with education you fill the glass.

However, I believe there are several different types of intelligence. There are probably doctors who could describe every aspect of the human heart, and diagnose and (within current technology) cure any disease or condition affecting it. However, they probably could not change their own oil or wire a house. Likewise, there are probably very brilliant automotive engineers out there that do not change their own oil or even work on their own car. My own brother-in-law is a controls electrician, but doesn't like to mess with house wiring.

But that begs the question - is it because they cannot figure it out, or is it because they are wealthy enough to pay someone else to do it, too busy to have time to do it, and don't have any interest in doing it themselves? Mechanical things (for the doctor example) just don't interest everybody. And perhaps the engineer just doesn't want to do it.

There are a few things I pay to have done that I could do myself, just because I don't want to do it.
It depends. The doctors I know, some of which are in my wife's family, will just throw their hands up in frustration with anything related to technology. Some can't even figure out how to sync their iPhone to their PC, or clear a paper jam, let alone get into the engineering side of technology. I can assure you these individuals wished they could work well with technology, but they are forced to seek outside help.

Open up Eclipse and tell them to code a "Hello World" program, which would be a complete laughable joke for any engineer, and they would probably throw the monitor out the window.

Their minds would be blown if they knew just how deep that rabbit hole goes. When I try to explain to them what I do at work, I just get a blank stare like what I said went right over their head.

Last edited by Fear Night; 09-05-2013 at 08:19..
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote