View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 19:33   #24
Dieter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
I know "fake" software RAIDs are laughed at in the IT community, but I have been happy with mine (4 drives in RAID10, Intel ICH10R). It had adequate speeds and no noticeable CPU load. The array properly rebuilt itself when I faked a drive failure.
Well, if you are happy with that, I think you've answered your own question!

Rather than spend money on a mobo that might cost more with a fancier, built in RAID controller, you could save that money and consider an SSD Blade PCIe card - more expensive than a normal SSD, but the performance is there for sure. But you don't need a big one - just something to house the OS and your applications.

You can use a separate "spinny" drive for your video editing, and then build a RAID array to use a dump site for your data, sync it up to make backups at various times when you're not using the machine, and such if you're really concerned about software RAID performance. (Though with modern processors, I don't think this is a big deal, especially not with a single array, or even two.)

Hardware solutions I think are the way to go with multiple large arrays but for the home user, or small business, software RAID gets the job done - slower, but cheaper, and in my opinion, more reliable.

Sure, people will argue with that, but as already mentioned - you can run into proprietary issues with hardware, and controllers can fail too, just like anything else.

I have a machine at my office that is supporting 4 x RAID 1 arrays (28TB/2 = 14TB mirrored), 2 internal sets (3TB@) and 2 external sets (4TB@), all SATA III scaled back to SATA I as that is the max the machine can support anyway, and it does just fine. ANY machine you get today will blow the doors off this 9-year old thing.
Dieter is offline   Reply With Quote