View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 08:18   #1
jdavionic
NRA Member

For those that carry, are you making changes based on the Zimmerman case?

For those that carry, are you making changes based on the Zimmerman case? The intent of this thread is to discuss what can we learn from the case. To do this, you have to critique Zimmerman's actions. However just because you see something that could be done differently or better, it doesn't mean that I'm trying to say GZ was a horrible guy because he did a, b, or c wrong. This is the carry section...I am just trying to rationally discuss what we can learn from the facts that were presented in this case. It's always better to learn from someone elses mistakes.

For me, I am hoping someone posts a link to an organization that's been mentioned before where they provide initial legal support if you are unfortunate enough to be in an incident. I cannot remember the name of the organization...sorry.

I used to think that if I did nothing wrong, that I would openly cooperate throughout questioning without legal representation. I changed that opinion before this whole incident; however this case did reinforce my decision. I don't think the police are targeting people that carry. Clearly the testimony showed that wasn't the case with Zimmerman. However your statements can be used by others in the aftermath and you should have legal representation to ensure that you have a fair assessment.

Another item that I've considered is increasing the frequency of carrying pepper spray. I'm fortunate that I'm not a 0.5 on a scale of 1-10 for fending off an attacker with my hands only. However, I do want to have as many non-lethal options are I can reasonably have for defending myself. I don't know whether that would have made a difference in the GZ case. Obviously once the attacker is on top, it was not an option. However maybe he could have used it as TM was initially approaching in an aggressive manner. Whether or not that's possible with GZ, the case did remind me to have more than just a hammer in the toolbox.

So what are your thoughts? Any changes that you plan to make?

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote