View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 19:10   #14
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjones View Post
Apart from a RAID 0 for a possible performance increase, I'm not sure what you'd gain from RAID.
Mainly, not having to restore data from backup when one of the hard drives goes "click-click-click". Also, storing "semi-important" data that's not worth backing up (e.g. downloaded videos to watch and forget).

Quote:
Dunno if you saw my other thread about the NAS I want to build, but for now, I've decided against RAID, mostly because I know that the non-enterprise-level RAID stuff is not that great.
I think I do remember that thread. That's where you had to reformat your array after a firmware upgrade? My software RAID (Intel Rapid Storage) didn't seem to have those problems. It kept working after a BIOS upgrade, an HDD firmware upgrade, and a driver upgrade.

Quote:
Many/most video/graphics editing programs are designed to have a "scratch" drive anyway, right? This wouldn't apply to a RAID config, I wonder if you might not get *worse* performance, depending exactly what software you use & how you use it.
I don't see a problem there. Programs either use %TEMP% (which would be on a separate SSD along with the OS), or let you set the scratch disk manually.

Quote:
Dunno about your level of tolerance for messing with stuff like this, but if I were you, I'd forget the RAID, have multiple internal drives, and make positive that you have 2-3 different backups that run as often as you need them to.
I don't see how RAID10, even a fake RAID10, can be less reliable than a standalone drive.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote