View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 16:18   #21
pugman

5 Reasons you (as in the people on this board) have a chance better than most.

Situational Awareness: You watch the news, you read blogs and you can even lump GT S&P into this. Estimates range but I've read as many as half of Americans under the age of 30 now get their "news" from social media sites. I was at the gym earlier today talking to a few regulars...none of the 5 even knew about the situation in Egypt which they first became aware of as they saw it on the news feed on one of the club's big tvs. However, 5 of 5 knew the Eagles were playing at Summerfest tonight and 4 of the 5 said they would "hit" Kim Kardashian.

Gun Ownership: You probably own a gun...probably more than one. The U.S population in 2012 was estimated at 314 million. Again, numbers vary but most estimates I've read state less than 1 in 3 own a gun now a days and less than 1 in 20 have ever had any sort of defensive training with it.

Food: No you might not have ten years worth of food stocked away. You may never have broken out the canning set you bought five years ago but I bet 9 in 10 people on this board have at least two weeks of food in the house. This alone will help you in most "real world" collaspes. Again, numbers vary but from what I read the average family of four has less than 3 days worth of food in the house. Eating out, the fact less and less families have family meals and poor eating in general all led to this.

S&P interest: My personal pet peeve. The fact you read this board means the prepardness bug is still in you. The author doesn't get the fact if people are reading his article on a board called The Survivalist Blog there is at least in interest. My niece's BD party was yesterday. My entire family was on me about the fact I carried there, I went to see World War Z, the fact after the party I was going to finish my workout at the gym, etc. My siblings have quietly told my nieces and nephews Uncle Pugman is "crazy." Again, they were oblivious to Egypt. My older brother (who makes a very comfortable six figure living) told my SIL they needed to stop on the way home to get toliet paper. How does a family run out of toliet paper? I know for a fact my brother's family has less than a week's worth of food in the house, no gun, no supplies, etc. They barely have bandaids in the house-how does a family with kids not have even a basic FAK? I'm willing to bet most on this board have basics-this alone puts you ahead of 75% of the U.S (and probably more).

Buddies: It would be extremely unlikely a single person will survive a collaspe. You probably have one friend who shares your prepardness bug; you may be part of a network. Your entire family might be "into it." The point being even though you might not be persistant or you aren't efficient in your resources; your friends and network might balance you out. There is strength in numbers

Last edited by pugman; 07-07-2013 at 16:20..
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote