View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 19:56   #16
Red Stick

I understand the benefits of them, even the necessity, especially for condominium type communities.

I don't like them because you end up with busy bodies high on their little bit of power acting like the dictator of the neighborhood. Making exceptions for themselves and others while wanting to enforce to the letter for others.

We bought a newly built home in a developing subdivision. It was about a quarter full of custom homes when the developer sold all the remaining lots to a spec home builder, nice quality homes, but not custom. Also the average price of the spec homes was around $50,000 to 100,000 less than the existing custom homes. We got approval from the builder, who is at the time the ACC, to construct a fence weeks before we closed on the home. It's a 6ft wood shadow box with 6 foot aluminum across the back which looks out onto a pond. I had the fence company start on it the day after we bought the house. When they started setting the post, they had 3 people in one hour stop and talk to the guys putting up the fence. One even got irate and laughed telling them if they continued to construct the fence they'd just have to come back next week and take it down.

So you can imagine I'm in a bit of a panic with guys and materials on sight to install $7,000 of fence and jack hole neighbors are telling the installers to take it down. Not one of these neighbors ever came and knocked on my door to talk about it face to face. Anyway I immediately called the builder, left a message, he called back the next day. He told me first and formost all approvals are final and may not be revoked, however the restrictions state no wood fences on a pond lot. He said not to worry it was approved and thats that. I do have to say the builder was top notch in how he handled it.

Well after a few days I heard through the grapevine the neighborhood was calling a meeting with the builder about our fence. Talk about make you feel unwelcome in the neighborhood. So the builder called the next day asking if they can pay to have all my fence changed to aluminum. Well I liked my wood fence, as it is you could just about whisper to you neighbor from porch to porch. So I told the builder we'd be willing to change some to aluminum to open up the view across the back corners to open up the view. He was fine with that.

The work was done and that was that. Got some dirty looks in the neighborhood and were known as "the people with the fence". It all worked out but was a bad way to move into a new neighborhood. Also all these people that had the problems with the fence "blocking the view" couldn't see the pond unless they stood on the peak of their roof if then.

I'm all for keeping property values up and keeping the neighborhood looking nice but if you read a lot of these restrictions for different neighborhoods there ridiculous.

I currently have a 7x7 Rubbermaid shed tucked into a corner of the yard behind the house. The color and look of the siding matches the house and looks nice. Also no one can see it, but technically it's against the rules. A lot of people in the neighborhood can't park a single car in their 2 car garage because its so full of crap. Maybe if sheds were allowed per the restrictions there'd be less parking on the street, also a no no, and driveways wouldn't be so jam packed with cars.

To sum things up everyone screams property values and the neighborhoods gonna go to **** if there isn't strict restrictions and absolute enforcement. I don't agree. I think many HOAs need less restrictions and more common sense.