View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 06:11   #8
quake

Do have pics of the pack/vest combo, but not of the contents. That would take a fair amount of hassle & will likely have to wait until next time I rotate out some things (like batteries, food items, and such) that are in it.

My ghb setup is a camelback delta-5 hydration vest with molle front and removable Ares Armor ‘Combat-XII’ pack. Have added various pouches in various places; looks odd, but the layout is the result of repeated trial and error and works for me personally.

Vest front – simple camelback hydration vest, with pouches added and rigger’s belt thru the lower loops to help function somewhat as a pack hip belt does in helping to shift some of the weight onto the hips & off the shoulders. Not as good as a true, built-in backpack's hip belt, but again a result of trial and error that found this to work for me personally. The black fastex buckles at the top and the OD ones at the sides (by the knife sheath and the pistol-mag pouch) are the attachment points for the separate pack:
Survival/Preparedness Forum

Vest rear – nothing special, just a couple of small pouches with "bare minimum" essentials; fire-starting materials, water tabs, spare compass, etc. The idea is that if the main pack had to be ditched (and it can be dropped in literally two seconds or so via four fastex buckles), the vest still has some bare minimum ‘stuff’ on it. The duct tape just serves as a keeper for a couple straps; no load-bearing function, just a way to eliminate worries of straps wandering where I don’t want them:

Pack itself – this particular pack is a small one, so I added a couple Nalgene large water-bottle pouches; one on each side. One has normal pack items that I want kept quickly reachable (hat, poncho, etc), and the other has my nested nalgene/glacier/stove setup in it. The nalgene bottle is packed with a combination of esbit and trioxane tabs, kept separate due to fume funkification of other items they’d otherwise come in contact with. The three metal bottles bungee’d in at the top are stainless steel water bottles. Two stay empty, one is packed with beef snack sticks but still useable for water if need be. The three easy-reach top slots occupied by the water bottles are intended for two M4 magazines each, but again, this is my personal version; my GHB truck gun is an M1 carbine and the vest-front pouch (near the knife sheath) carries two mags for that. So I get to use that space for water bottles; which better be more-often needed than rifle magazines:

The inside (body side) of the pack – the two black pouches are cheap AR mag pouches; riding where they are, they follow the curve of the vest around my back & fit in a space that would be otherwise dead air. Main pro's of those is that they're thin & shapelss enough that they take on the shape of the space they're given, and they also have a combination of velcro and snaps (I hear 'belt & suspenders' in my head) on their closure flaps. One has a change of socks & underwear, and the other has good leather gloves & I forget what else. All in ziploc bags.

Pack positioned as it would be attached to the vest. The two small vest-back pouches ride slightly lower than the bottom of the pack, so there's no conflict there. The pack largely rests on top of those small pouches, which in turn rest on my hips, and that layering effect seems to help with transferring weight better to the hip belt as well.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote