View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 13:06   #17
TSiWRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR92314 View Post
Thanks for all the good info I will be going to the range tomorrow to try some of these suggestions.
From some of your responses I see a little background info is in order.
I am 58 right handed right eye dominant and wear glasses.
Moving closer is not an option it's an outdoor range and the closest set of target sets is at 18 yards. And at that distance I can't really see where Im hitting till I walk out to the target to see. I think I'll pick up some of those splatter dye targets so I can track where I'm hitting while shooting.
I'm new to both handguns and glocks I got a new 19 a couple of months ago but the range up here was closed till a couple of weeks ago. I've been to the range twice and fired around 200 rounds so far. I'm going again tomorrow and am going to try and go at least once a week.
Just wanted to say this forum has been a wealth of information from some very experienced members.
THANKS!!!
The Glock trigger isn't the most difficult to learn trigger - but it's definitely far from easy. Sure, it does offer a heck of a good reset - but it's path is a difficult one to learn.

*_A LOT_* of us either had trouble to begin with or still routinely experience such problems and must revisit the fundamentals. So, take heart, you're not alone!

Combine the need to master the Glock's trigger path with the fact that handgun shooting is often said to be the hardest form of shooting to master, and you've got a steep learning curve in front of you.

I can understand your range limitations, but I would encourage you to find a range where you can get closer to the target. You're really making your learning curve very steep by starting out that far: more importantly, it's also throwing in another very big variable into the equation.

Part of being able to diagnose what you've got going on is that we'll need to see a fundamentally better grouping - that's not a knock on you, please don't misunderstand - that's just the facts.

It's clear that you do have a low-left trend, which, when combined with your handedness, can be said to be caused by trigger-jerk, but in all honesty, there's a lot that's probably going on, and without actually being there, live, it's going to be very hard for any of us to really say what's up.

Also, don't think that it's all about how much lead you're throwing downrange. Again, I'm *not* criticizing you. If anything, I was tremendously guilty of this during my beginning days...I threw away nearly 20K rounds my first year - those were the rounds I expended because I thought that I could better myself by simply doing more and that I could overcome fatigue by simply "pushing through." Neither is true. (In my first year, I shot right around 40K rounds of 9mm; I'm partially self-taught as well.)

Particularly for beginners, it's about quality rather than quantity - especially as you cannot "push through" that physical and mental fatigue barrier. Doing more simply risks that you further ingrain any bad habits.

I would encourage you to divert some of the money of that ammo fund to try to find a local instructor/school that can get you on the right path. The best place to check for this is often with your LOCAL/regional concealed-carry or shooting community online Forum. See what instructors come recommended in your area. Oftentimes, what they can accomplish in one two to four-hour private or semi-private session, with 100 to 200 rounds of ammo, can well exceed what you may be able to gain from intense and honest self-study for weeks or even months.

Finally, if you've got the time/ability, I would also think about going to get your eyes checked by an eye professional who is also a shooting hobbyist. If you can still see the front sight sharply and clearly, this may not be as important, but it's definitely something to keep in the back of your mind if you notice that you cannot *sharply* resolve your front sight.
TSiWRX is offline   Reply With Quote