View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 15:40   #10
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
Thirty-six is not too old, but you don't "join" the police, you apply, test, interview, and get hired. It's fairly competitive everywhere I can think of. Your age is actually an asset.
Indeed. It isnt easy to get hired and it can take a long damned time.

Outside of knowing somebody, which is life, deal with it...I have noticed that it can be a crap shoot. Departments are run by people with agendas, personalities and liability concerns. What might look like a good fit to one agency might not to another.

Find out what it takes to be a cop in your State, then exceed that and go forth and find your match.

I started in my early 30's and it has been one of the best choices I ever made. (I dont work as a full time Officer but I do work full time sometimes) I think I would have felt *happy* doing this job at most agencies but I feel as though I really lucked out and found a great match which is simply amazing. Dont underestimate the importance of the culture of the Agency you work for and how it will affect you in every possible way.

Good luck.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

"Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master." - Sallust

Last edited by Rabbi; 03-22-2013 at 15:40..
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote