View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 16:32   #21
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanMike View Post
So I've been watching some videos on the various dillon presses, and honestly I'm no further along. Sure the 550 offers things that the SDB doesn't, and again the 650 offers things the 550 doesn't, and then there's the ammunition manufacturing industrial complex that you can buy which honestly doesn't even look enjoyable.
I have a 450, two 550s, a 650 and a 1050. You are wrong about the 1050. That machine makes ammo in a heck of a hurry. I have it set up for .45 ACP and will probably never change it. Mostly because caliber changes are EXPENSIVE. But one thing you got right, that machine is a manufacturing plant. It is magnificent!

Quote:
The question really comes down to how much do I need to spend to meet my own needs. They all seem to offer more than what I have now.
It always comes down to equipment cost versus proposed volume. The 200 round per month shooter need not apply! The second factor is "how much do you like reloading?". Some machines, like the LCT, let you enjoy it a LOT LONGER! In my view, speed is good - let's get this over with...

Quote:
For the sake of argument, can you experienced guys give me a price estimate to go from what I have no (LCT, incidentals, 9mm 4pc die set, etc) to the point of loading 9mm with either the SDB, the 550, or if you're feeling froggy, the 650. I really don't think I need the strong mount, but I'll allow you to convince me otherwise.
There's no secret about the pricing. To Dillon 550 and 650 prices, you have to add dies ($64) but you already have Lee dies so the 550 costs just what it says it does on the website. Personally, I would ditch the Lee FCD and buy a real Taper Crimp Die (even a Lee) - $25 at Dillon, less everywhere else. Then you can decide whether the spiffy strongmount and bullet tray make sense (they absolutely DO) and whether or not you want an upgraded handle (I haven't bought those).

You can order through BrianEnos.com and save all of the shipping. Your order will take an extra day but you save $30-$40. Your choice...

I can't say anything about the SDB, I don't have one. I would be mightly concerned about the proprietary dies - it limits the future.

Quote:

On a side note, the dillon-created youtube videos showing their case flare was intriguing to me. My LCT doesn't flare anywhere near that aggressively, is that really necessary?
In one of their manuals, Dillon recommends 0.020" flare. That's kind of a lot but it works well for lead bullets. Hey, it's a number, at least we have something solid to discuss.

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 03-21-2013 at 16:34..
F106 Fan is online now   Reply With Quote