View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 10:26   #14
Taipei Personality

As others have said, it's a lifestyle change. I lost 83 pounds (in four months, not the way to do it, though) by modifying my eating habits, especially portion control, fresh fruits and vegetables, and cutting processed food dramatically coupled with an active lifestyle. One year later, I'm maintaining through the lifestyle changes I established.

I did not pay anyone to provide special food. I used My Fitness Pal to track calories and nutrients and concentrated on high bulk, low calorie foods. The bottom line is that it's basic physiology - expend more than you take in, work on both cardio and strength training, and show some willpower. There are no shortcuts. I also found, for me, the weight started coming off slowly but accelerated.

Was it worth it? I went from 230 pounds to 147, a 42" waist to a 30" waist, 18.5" neck to a 15" neck. I've dropped CPAP, cholesterol med and two blood pressure meds. My resting heart rate is 52 bpm and blood pressure is 115/70. I'm 54 years old and have more stamina, more strength and feel better than when I was 30. I went from trying to walk for 30 minutes 3x per week to running 3 miles every day. I'll never go back.

(W)hen I feel the hand of power lie heavy on my brow, I care but little to know who oppresses me; and I am not the more disposed to pass beneath the yoke because it is held out to me by the arms of a million men. - Alexis de Tocqueville

Last edited by Taipei Personality; 03-20-2013 at 10:32.. Reason: added more detail
Taipei Personality is offline   Reply With Quote