View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 20:52   #68
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post
I have a question.

Shotguns have safeties and rifles have safeties but when the topic of a safety on a handgun comes up it gets really controversial. Not just in terms of what you guys were saying about training large numbers of people, but the existence of a safety on a handgun in general seems to really bring out the fire in people on one side or the other.

How come?

Is it because revolvers don't have safeties and when the transition was made to autos it was viewed with the stinkeye?
here, jump back in the time machine with me and travel back to the days of my youth when this was the most important issue in LE hand guns. I'll try to put it in a bit of perspective.

First of all, bear in mind that the first departments to adopt the semi-auto were definitely viewed with the stink-eye.

There just weren't many useful autos being made in the US. Very, very, few departments were going to take the heat over a single action being carried cocked and locked. Basically that left the S&W 39. in the late 60's that's what there was and it's big plus was that it had its roots in the requirements the Army put forward n the 50's for a 1911 replacement, both in caliber and with the safety.

The safety was a nice feature though and much was made bout Cops being shot with their own guns since it was a time before security holsters and the most popular holster among those who were free to choose was the breakfront with more emphasis on speed than security.

Now in those days expanding ammo sucked, sucked bad, it sucked leftover suck. the Hps had such a small cavity, so they would feed in the mil-surp guns that made up 90% of the 9mm market at that time, that the only way they could be counted on to expand is if they were fired at a 90 degree angle into a hard object, like a brick or steel plate. The other option was soft points, but the lead noses had to be hard enough not to lead-up feed ramps so....

So what you had was ten-year period of spotty results with low cap 9mms in the few departments that bought them, Pennsylvania SP liked the for penetration on cars.

"Hammer back" wasn't acceptable and there were no DAs in any caliber but 9mm until the Browning/Sig 220 showed up.

A guy named Lee Jurras came along and decided to start the "Super-Vel" to offer a better performing round.

In summary,
For a long time there were few guns (made in America which was critical in those days), that were suitable for LE and for those that were, the ammo sucked.

The infamous "Miami shoot-out" sped up a lot of developments considerably. but it took a change in attitudes about "Buy American", gun designs and ammo improvements for the ball to get rolling.

Hope you enjoyed the history lesson

I should also add that the Army trials that led to the adoption of the aopened a lot of closed doors bout autos an European designs such as Sig

Last edited by countrygun; 03-11-2013 at 21:07..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote