Thread: new Nexus 4
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 13:19   #11
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomechanic View Post
8-10 MB down?! That's fast even for 4G! And on a Galaxy Nexus?

What service provider are you running with?

Sent from my orifice.
T-Mobile on their Prepaid plan. I use the $60 one with 2GB of 4G data. I don't typically use more than a couple hundred megs so that's good for me. I work from home so I have wifi, and all of my friends houses have wifi. Unless I'm traveling I don't use the network data too much, but I love that its fast and reliable when I do need it (used to be on sprint, the data was stupid slow and unreliable).

My fiancee uses more streaming Pandora at work so she is on their $70 plan that gives you 5GB.

Just ran a speedtest from my phone. 9.45 download and 1.55 upload.

Like I said, HSPA+ has plenty of speed. It isn't up there with LTE which is typically what people mean when they say "4G". But it is plenty fast.

There really isn't a great definition of what is and isn't 4G. Marketing has convinced people that it means LTE, but it doesn't. LTE is a 4G technology but it isn't the only one. 4G just stands for fourth generation.

Besides, don't believe those coverage maps. I have friends that went to Verizon because they wanted good LTE coverage and it's spotty at best in Columbus. If you aren't downtown or in Easton or Polaris (the two big shopping/recreation areas) you probably won't get any LTE service. Course the coverage maps says all of Columbus gets good LTE service.

Long story short, the lack of LTE isn't a problem. HSPA+ will do just fine for people and it has a much better footprint.

I can see some people's gripe about the lack of an SD card. For me, it isn't really a problem. I put a few gigs of music on my phone and that's about it. I like lots of storage on a tablet, but I really don't need that much on a phone.

Last edited by captainstormy; 03-04-2013 at 13:26..
captainstormy is offline   Reply With Quote