View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 12:43   #421
JAS104
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
Squeeze, I can't rack a slide silently either. Nor do I want to have to.

Folks used to say the sound of their shotgun chambering a round would send most burglars packing. Maybe racking a slide would have the same effect.

My bedside gun is kept in C3, but I have a dandy alarm system that will awaken me and the neighbors. In fact, my alarm system from ADT provides coverage of doors, windows (glass breakage) and motion detectors. Heat and smoke detectors are also integrated into the ADT system. This is my effort to mitigate risk of home invasion and fire for my family. The service is expensive, but its more important than 'stuff' we do without to afford it.

The argument I've heard most against a ready-to-go bedside gun is the risk associated with grabbing it in the darkness before you're fully awake. That makes sense to me.
I have a home alarm system as well. Same gadgets and all. Smoke, glass, door and window, motion, etc. However- When you open the door and the alarm is on, theres a chime but NOT an alarm until 30 seconds. This time is allowed for the homeowner to disarm the alarm if they are coming home or forget. This 30 seconds an intruder can get pretty far into a home (or in my case, my apartment).
So, my Glock is c1 on my nightstand, and my mossy is ready to go right under my bed.