View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 21:26   #12
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Fly View Post
My first question is this: Given the same situation, what would you do?
There is always something remarkable about the people I stop, that's why they were stopped in the first place. We unfortunately deal with many unknowns, and a reactionary time 1 to 1.5 seconds behind. I will also add, that many serious dirtbags have caught on that being polite provides some advantages. The boyfriend of one of my agency's retired Deputies, the same one that strangled her to death, and is on death row is a very respectful inmate.

So that being said, taking a tactical advantage to seize control of a situation from someone you have no idea whether they are Mother Theresa, or a Timothy McVeigh is the only realistic way of staying alive, and fulfill your oath of office. The rest can be sorted out later.

Quote:
My second question related to this. Given the same situation, but lets say the driver informs you promptly during the stop that he's armed and has a permit. He keeps his hands on the steering wheel at all times. Under what circumstances do you feel it would be appropriate to pull the driver out of the car, and handcuff him?
Just because they say they have a permit...
1. Does NOT mean they do.
2. Does not mean they aren't up to no good.
3. Don't have warrants.

4. Are nothing more than a someone stopped for a traffic violation.

The short answer is, it depends. If you are real lucky, you might have a minute to figure it out.

Quote:
My concern is that after the incident in Ohio a few years back (for those who don't know what I am talking about, google "Daniel Harless police" ) that a lot more ccw'ers in states like mine (that you're NOT required to inform), will end up not saying anything, and bad situations result.
It is completely irrational to base a belief on one person's actions when there are certainly more than 10,000 Officers in Ohio, and many of them conducting traffic stops every day. BTW, Ohio requires people carrying to inform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'

Last edited by razdog76; 02-25-2013 at 21:36..