View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 21:19   #15
ChuteTheMall
What Difference

Shotguns are fun, as are revolvers, and they are still useful inside some rooms for home defense within pistol range, but I'd almost always prefer to grab just about any carbine: 7.62x39 AK, or .357 magnum lever action, or even 9mm carbine.

These all have increased effective range over a shotgun, not to mention greater pinpoint accuracy where every projectile has a lawyer attached, and you can choose ammo with various amounts of penetration if that is an issue.
Local cops & swat teams choose 9mm carbines, making that politically correct here in liberalville.
I prefer 7.62x39 for just about everything else within self-defense range, but then I'm a bad guy anyway.

That said, there's always been a loaded shotgun near the bed among other things.

Too bad indoor ranges seem to restrict shotguns so much, I can't shoot them as often as I would like, although the NRA range allows shooting slugs out to 50 yards indoors.

I have the most fun with my SxS rabbit-eared Cimarron/TTN coachgun shooting cowboy action matches, competing against Winchester/Norinco model 97 pump guns. Quick reloading and quick shooting is stressed in this sport.

A cheap shotgun makes a better home defense weapon than a cheap rifle, and it's pretty easy to learn.