View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 09:58   #16
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebearbevis View Post
Ok, so you caught me. I've been an avid Backpacker for 43+ years and from my first encounter in the Great Smokey Mountains (a bear in the shadows looks blue, thus my nickname) to my last encounter in the Tetons (sniffed and ignored) I've never had an issue with bears. Shoot, in the late 60's and early 70's we'd feed them chips and sandwiches out of the station wagon window! Glad that's changed, but I digress. Granted, they were all Black Bears, not Grizzles, but what the hey. So, the handgun is more about protection from other intruders. Sad to say, but when is the first wacko survivalist run amok in the wilderness scenario going to play out? Also is the issue of accuracy. I went shooting the other day with a friend, 18 out of 18 in a 6" target at 20 yrs. with his .22 revolver, 4 of 12 with the .44 mag. Wouldn't 1 round of any caliber in the chest be better than loud noise and whizzing bullets?

Thanks again everyone,
Richard

Unless the sights were bent all to heck, or your scared of your 44mag, why could you put all 18 shots in a 20yd target with a .22 and not with a 44mag ?

I hold tight groups at 50yds, and very decent enough for deer at 100yds with a full house load of 44 mag. If you can do it with a 22, you can do it with 454 casull !

You started out concerned about bear and moose and ask what to carry for those type threats...

As for ''NOW," its two legged threats your talking about, and not bears, it's as dangerous to shoot a crazy attacker in the chest with a .22, as it is a charging bear with a 10mm.

As for your feeding the bears, that is "one" reason there are sometimes problems with them getting in close contact with humans... Never feed the bears.

I think ya need to carry whatever you want to, and since you have all this wilderness experience, 'without incident', seems you don't need a gun any way pard.

Good luck to ya !

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote