View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 15:31   #12
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
If weight is an issue for backpacking:

S&W 629 4" weight empty is 41.6 oz, Glock20 is 27.7 oz.

In fact, load 15 +1 rounds into G20 and the fully loaded weight is only 39.7 OZ, which is almost 2 oz LESS than an empty S&W 629 4".

No comparison, the Glock is far lighter. Loaded, or empty.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

http://us.glock.com/products/model/g20

Thanks for the weight update....! But the 10mm still does NOT carry the horse power of the 44mag, and man it is just not hard to carry a 4" Smith in the mountains horse or no horse ... I used horses and pack mules as a 'former guide', and for personal use as well for almost 4 decades in the rockies and other ruff terrain. Sometimes, as I shared with the OP, afoot. And all carrying a Ruger 44mag 4"+ barrel and 33rds spare ammo on the belt. I never fainted, or wore out or cratered under it... ha.

If he is concered about bear, then forget the 10mm (which I have owned for many years and load for) high caps mean nothing to me in this senerio. The revolver trumps the semi, especially if ya have a bear 'on you'. The 44mag, trumps the 10mm in horse power with 250/300gr Hard Cast bullets.

First two shots is it any way, NO ONE is going to dump a mag load into a charging bear !

Ok, a tad more weight than I figured, but the Ruger Vaquero, and BH, even at 4" + and 5" + are much hevier than that, but I have never once had a concern with them in high country, and even on very steep climbs where the sheep are..

Stay safe !

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote