View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 14:14   #13
K.Kiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I guess it depends on what you're used to.
This... Growing up I was taught to shoot what we were gonna be using, unless we were just killing cans and cardboard boxes... Snap caps and very small calibers help you get familiar with trigger pull, but not so much familiar with what a service size firearm is...

My father bought me a 1911 .45 when I was in the 10th grade and I felt a little down about my new low-power pistol in regard to what we were raised on and used to...

My dad used to load a weapon for us with his back turned(or not load it), then get use to do a slow controlled fire for accuracy on a distant target... Sometimes he'd load it live 5 times in a row, then not actually load a round to see our reaction when the trigger pulled... Sometimed 5 empty rounds in a row, then a live one and everything in between... This would be done with everything from a .38 special, .44 mag, 416 rem magnum, etc... This will immune your senses...

Moral to my opinion is that it's what bac1023 stated, condition is everything... Condition a shooter to something very small or something that doesn't go bang at all, and most anything will surprise your senses after that... Nothing to do with any sort of physicallity or muscle man toughness, just what your senses are ready for and accustomed to...

Disclaimer to this is when I was growing up it was incomparably cheaper to shoot full power ammo than it is today, and I completely understand not being able to blast bombs from your gun with any sort of affordability in these times...
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote