View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 22:02   #25
clinttho

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist View Post
If the manufacturer permits dry firing of a particular firearm I see nothing wrong with it as long as permission is granted by the seller. Dry firing a brand new revolver, especially with a blued finish, may be frowned upon in an attempt to keep the cylinder turn ring to a minimum.

As stated in previous posts, I've seen people, sellers and purchasers, do some pretty stupid stuff in their attempts to impress others with their handling abilities. Spinning the cylinder and slamming it shut, using the slide lock to drop the slide on an empty chamber, slamming a magazine home "Magnum P.I." style to name a few. Watching them is like watching a train wreck; you want to close your eyes and turn away but you can't.
That's what gets me, particularly with the revolver one. The employee could have bent the ejector rod or crane, broken the locking bolt (just off the top of my head) with his mishandling, then tells me not to dry fire, claiming its bad for the gun. I'm wondering if some gun store employees get all of their training from movies?! And not from books or workshops/classes. It's crazy they'd let the clerks cowboy the revolvers like that but not allow dry firing.

Going back to the original point- yes, gun shops should have snap caps for each display gun, at least in a box behind the counter (far enough behind that customers can't access them and steal them, as one poster hypothesized) if they don't want you to pull the trigger on an empty chamber. heck, what would it hurt to keep one in the mag or cylinder of every display gun? If the clerk is watching no one will make off with any of the caps. And if the customer wants to fire the gun it's "safe" for the gun, and it will only help sales as there are certainly customers who need to test the trigger to commit to buying a firearm. I doubt anyone would refuse to buy because snap caps are present. Doesn't make sense not to have them IMO, unless the gun store wants the guns action to be kept either opened or closed and not worked much to retain the NIB finish on the display models.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
clinttho is offline   Reply With Quote