View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 07:30   #18
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Night View Post
The average American's budget looks similar to the US Government's budget. Coincidence?
Bullbutter! See below. Completely patently false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMason View Post
True - but in the 60s and 70's it only took one wage earner to do that; now two.
As I said yesterday in a different thread, we all have affordable toys that NO ONE had in the 60's and 70's. How many TV's does the average house have? How many vacations that AREN'T camping at $3/night? Home in the 'burbs with 1.2acres of land and 2,000 sf of living area? Latest/greatest toys and activities for Jr? All this cost money. We didn't trade lower anything for that. We traded an at-home mom for livin large, yo.

Couple that with the skyrocketing divorce rate and the need for 1.5 households per "baby-makers" and you HAVE to have them work. Staying married is cheaper than getting divorced.

The bottom line is this: The original post is an anecdotal story, not statistical fact. Statistical fact is debt is FALLING in this country as people get MORE responsible. Just look it up. Of course, it trumps the "this country going to hell handbasket yada yada" so you have to find something else to grouse about.