Thread: Need to workout
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 07:30   #67
jim goose
"The Goose"

Quote:
Originally Posted by txleapd View Post
A little over two years ago I stepped on the scale, and it read 220. It's the heaviest I've ever weighed. I didn't like the way I felt or how I looked in the mirror.

I started swimming again, and watching what I ate. I dropped about 20 pounds in 8 months, then I started P90X (in addition to the swimming and diet change). Within 6 months I was at 176. I hadn't weighed that since I was a young 20 year old hard charger.

About 6 months ago I began incorporating heavy lifting into my workout routines and I've slowing started to gain weight, but its the good weight (lean muscle mass). I'm holding steady at around 188-190 right now.

I've learned a few important things over the last 2 years...

It not about dieting. It's about a lifestyle change. Dieting is temporary. A lifestyle change is forever.

Like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it. If you won't make the time to go to the gym, or if you won't workout, you won't change a thing. You have to push yourself.

I'm no youngster anymore. I can't bounce back like I used to. When your body tells you to take a break, take a break.

Results take longer. But they do occur. Stick with it. Don't get discouraged.

Set goals. Realistic goals. Work toward those goals.

Get a workout buddy, or three. It's easier with friends.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Good advice.

I did the same, but after life kicked me in the pants. Divorce, diabetes etc..I realized I had to start living again.

It's about MOVEMENT. We sit on our hides 99.99% of the day. DO anything, but do it everyday. Walk, jog, hike bike, anything, but just do it for 30 minutes, 4-5 times a week. Everyone can do that.

Compare that to the exercise we did as youngsters, and 3-60 min a day is nothing.

Soon your day wont feel right without your walk/jog. That and eating healthy and light during work hours.

Im down from 260 (6'4") to 210 in 18 months.

Last edited by jim goose; 02-07-2013 at 07:35..
jim goose is offline   Reply With Quote