View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 19:48   #244
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
Thanks (to Arc Angel) for adding much-needed balance to the debate.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMOFT View Post
I agree that it seems intuitive that a pistol in C3 is safer to carry than one in C1, but there’s a fallacy in that line of reasoning. Some of you have cited the fact that even LEOs with their greater level of training and experience have NDs and thus C1 carry must be inherently unsafe. In fact a good friend of mine who happens to be an LEO and an experienced gun handler experienced an ND recently that wreaked his hand.
In my opinion C1 doesn't render a semi-auto inherently unsafe, but it does place the highest priority on awareness and safety.

Quote:
However, the rest of the story is that the ND happened with an “unloaded” pistol. I think if you averaged the number of hours that cops carry C1 pistols vs. the number of NDs they suffer you would find the ND rate to be surprisingly low. Maybe lower than the rate of NDs suffered by non-LEO C3 carriers. And no, I have no data to back up that statement; it’s purely supposition on my part.

The point is complacency kills. And complacency is what causes NDs, not carry mode. And people that habitually carry such as LEOs will be more vulnerable to complacency than most others.
Certainly true, and complacency happens to the well-trained as it does with civilians, regardless of the condition the carrier believes the gun is in.

Quote:
It seems to me that those with the C3 mindset view pistols as either “safe” to carry or “unsafe” based on whether or not the chamber is loaded. The C3 mindset seems to be “if my carry piece is unloaded I can still make a mistake and not suffer an ND". This breeds complacency and violates one of the four basic rules of gun handling, i.e. “treat all guns as if they are loaded at all times”. You might protest that you do that anyway. Well, if that’s so, then you are just as safe carrying in C1 as in C3.
The big difference is that trained LEO must always be prepared for a life-threatening confrontation, as part of their sworn duties. Conversely, civilians --- except in the most extreme, dire situations --- are wisely counseled to withdraw (if possible), immediately call 911, and seek safety until the police arrive. But as for the immediate issue, anyone may at an unexpected moment experience a ND; if one's habit is to carry C3 it does not inoculate him/her from that experience but it does by habit place one additional safety check into the process. LEO must carry C1; I choose to normally stay one step behind LEO and one step ahead of Barney Fife.

In the example of LEO dashboard cameras, when was the last time you read, heard, or saw a civilian deliberately walk into an unknown situation where CQB might suddenly occur? I think police have the most difficult job in America, given the criminals and political sharks they have to successfully defend against. Again, there's a great difference between my personal circumstances and those of LEO, and I'm determined not to become a poster child for the Brady Campaign. When I think conditions warrant I will carry C1; when not I'll continue to be a cautious civilian. This question is always an individual, personal decision and one only the individual can decide. There is no right-wrong, in my opinion, and I fully accept the views of those who for their own reasons always carry C1.

Last edited by unit1069; 02-06-2013 at 23:07..