View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 15:15   #150
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn57 View Post
I know that estimated deer populations can be off, but let's be serious, there are likely fewer deer than people, especially if you include the entire Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest and not just your half.

I included the deer population of California originally, but most of your forest is actually located in Oregon. The entire state has an estimated deer population of around 300,000. Unless you can demonstrate that you are better qualified to provide an estimate, I'll stick with that. The human population of the Rogue-River-Siskiyou National Forest is nearly 700,000. So people don't have to come from far and wide in order to deplete the deer population to the point where it would at least be difficult to find them - after all, you're talking about 1.7M acres total. That's a lot of area, although not the largest national forest in Oregon by a wide margin.

And your forest is just one of many National Forests in Oregon, all with their own deer populations. So even if the actual deer population were double or triple the estimates, there still wouldn't be enough deer to keep many people in venison for any extended period of time.

And, actually, Portland is the furthest large city. Eugene, Salem, and especially Medford are all closer. They are the second, third, and fourth largest cities in the state, respectively. True, they aren't nearly as big as Portland, but they're not exactly villages. But you're correct that you probably wouldn't get much traffic from any of those cities, except maybe Medford, because there are other national forests closer to all three of the other cities.

Look, I've got no dog in this fight. Figuring out where you're located was just a way to relieve the boredom. I'm just using figures that unless you can prove otherwise, I've got to assume are at least reasonably close to correct. I hope the figures are totally wrong and there are several million deer for you to hunt and that you live a wonderful life eating venison all the day long in the wake of any SHTF situation.
You had better look at he population of Coos, Curry Josephine and Del Norte Counties again. They encapsulate the Siskiyou National Forest. Did your expert evaluation also include that huge sections of it are inaccessible? Did it happen to mention that those on the Josephine County side are almost completely unable to access much of it due to the geography? Did you look at that photo, which is just one tiny sliver of the huge forest? How do you figure the experts got out there and counted deer noses.

If we are having such an effect as it is, then why can I get two and sometimes three bear tags a year? If you know much of anything about animal populations you would know that deer far outnumber bear. We only get one deer tag a year to keep us in line with the State standard, but oddly enough they only station one ODF&W officer in this County. I don't think they are worried that folks around here poaching are going to damage the population, at least they don't do much about it.

You are sitting in one place, across the Country, and trying to tell me what my area is like? Based on what you think you have found on the internet? Really?
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote