View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 00:01   #12
countsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by domin8ss View Post
On the other side of that, my wife has been in the Navy for over 4 years and has zero weapons training. I've tried to help her, but she gets too scared by a hand guns. Rifles and shotguns are a different story, but she's only held them unloaded. Her job? Pediatric Nurse. This makes her very deployable. Based on this, I think it should be a case by case consideration. Just because you're military doesn't mean you should be handed a CWP. Those military not covered in the law should take the course and pass the live fire test too.

Fyi, I'm prior Marine Infantry. I'm getting the permit and taking the live fire test. It's a large silhouette target at close range. If somebody can't put 21 of 30 rounds in the black I certainly wouldn't want them handling a gun.
Military for over 25 years and still serving and I can attest. Most folks think because you're military or LE that you're a weapons expert. That couldn't be further from the truth. I work with some great Americans but their weapons skills, or lack thereof is scary. My uncle is a retired state trooper and he did the bare minimums when he was active to qualify with his assigned weapon. A close friend is DEA and a former Army Ranger and didn't particularly like guns. I used to threaten to report him to his boss, jokingly, for not carrying his off duty weapon when we were out. He just wasn't a 'gun guy'. He treated it as more of an annoyance. Not saying any of this is wrong but it's just a reality.
countsk is offline   Reply With Quote