View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 01:54   #17
WinterWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
IMO, you're painting with a broad brush here. The "industry" is multi-faceted and I don't include Walmart or Academy Sports in the same league as say ATK, Remington, Win., etc. In any field of endeavour you will always find one retailer charging more than another. That's the nature of competition.

That said, I wouldn't judge the entire industry by the profiteering done by a few end retailers and aftermarket sellers (re-sellers). Floyd R. Turbo reselling Win. White Box at the Wichita gunshow hardly equates with a true retailer, let alone with Winchester and his prices are not a good barometer as such.

The major players in the industry have hardly raised prices if at all beyond normal inflationary adjustments. Ammo makers prefer Gov't/LE contracts for that matter as that is money "bankable" now with no sitting idle in a warehouse awaiting a jobber's order. To be even more frank, I'd wager that ammo sold to civilians is less than 10% of ATK's (owner of Speer & Federal) profit.

Don't let a few bad apples spoil the barrel. I have faith that things will bounce back to normal this time and that there will be a lot of post Apocalyptic "fire sales".
You are talking about the manufacturers. I consider the "industry" to be the manufacturers, the distributors, the retailers and any and all middle men. And I don't think it's the manufacturers that are the problem. They are all scrambling to keep up with demand as much as possible. It's the distributors and retailers who are the culprits. I know people wanna argue "economics 101," but that argument doesn't hold water. For example, if a guns shop sells 200 guns over the course of a month, but during the current craze sells 200 guns in a week and has to wait for resupply of desirable items, they are still selling 200 guns in that month. The only difference is the sales are condensed time-wise. The distributors and retailers have used that as an excuse to raise prices. Just because they can't be built fast enough is not an excuse to raise prices. If Chevy was behind on production, that's not an excuse to start selling Chevy Malibus for $50K, nor would any sane person pay that. The raw materials are there; the manufacturers just have to get their butts in gear. The retailers have not been hurt whatsoever. Quite the opposite in fact. When you can't keep product on the shelf, I'd say times are good. They shouldn't be taking advantage of those good times by raising the prices to make the "good times" even better. People wanna defend capitalism and the greed it proliferates. Capitalism isn't here to benefit us. Profit is the ONLY motive. But I guess half the country isn't obese, the majority of people aren't in debt, unemployment isn't high and poverty doesn't exist. JMO.

Last edited by WinterWizard; 02-02-2013 at 01:58..
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote