View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 15:04   #5
Lord

I will approach this step by step.

First, this letter is a template for anyone to use as a tool of politely informing a business owner such as yourself of the reasons why a consumer such as myself would not longer conduct business with you. Consider a scenario:

You run your business and for an unknown reason to you, business suddenly takes a drastic decline. So you take steps to increase that business but you can't figure out why nothing seems to help. Suddenly, you receive a letter similar to the template posted and it becomes clear that the decline in business is a self inflicted problem. you remove the sign, and magically your business begins to thrive again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
No offense, but your Second Amendment rights end when you enter onto private property.
That was acknowledged in the spirit and the body of the letter, where I clearly stated:

"While I acknowledge your right as the establishment’s owner or owner’s agent to impose such a ban and will respect your position, there are several reasons behind my concern and ultimate decision to no longer engage in commerce with you or at any of your business locations or affiliates. "

Quote:
Your RKBA rights do not trump my rights as a property owner and like it or not, they never will.
Again, that has been acknowledged, but for you I will take this a slight step farther. You are obviously strong feeling when it comes to your rights as a business owner, but making the statement above, in my own opinion, is akin to stating that you don't care a single bit about your customers when it comes to YOUR business. That's ok. Just FYI... you should probably be told that it's the customers that keep you in business. You may want to care just a slight bit more.

Quote:
The Constitution was written as a tool to protect citizens from the GOVERNMENT, not from each other.
Are you a business owner, or law professor specializing in constitutional law? Perhaps you're a psychologist that has some special insight into what the forefathers were thinking when they drafted the law? Or maybe, you're simply regurgitating what you've heard someone else say? It doesn't matter. The right to keep and bear arms was guaranteed by the 2A, and while it may be arguable what the intention was, it's very clear in today's law that as a law abiding citizen there are two things that are not arguable. 1. I have a license and have a right to carry, 2. I have a right to defend myself(family etc) from harm.

Quote:
I own and operate a small business that is open to the public and I do not post signs promoting nor denying CCW.

However, it is MY right to decide how I manage my business just as you have the right to spend YOUR money elsewhere.
No one ever disputed that or called it into question. Just in case you missed it in the letter (obviously you did) and just in case you missed it in Jerry's explanation, or even my own above, no one ever tried to say that you didn't have that right. In fact, your right to do so was clearly acknowledged, as well as the intention to abide by your wishes.

Quote:
"Voting" with your wallet makes more of a statement to a business than any letter, no matter how polite or well-written.
I disagree. I think they go hand in hand. Not only does a business owner need to know that his business declined, if even by a single customer, but he probably should know why it did.

Slow your roll, man. your reaction appears to be somewhat knee jerk, and there's plenty of that going on in Washington right now. If you don't like the letter, you're free to not like it. If you wouldn't care that customers don't trade in your business, that's up to you too. But ease up on the rest of us that feel we should be heard too, because it's OUR right to be heard.

Last edited by Lord; 02-01-2013 at 15:12..
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote