View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 14:02   #203
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
Please indulge one question about your example in the above post.

Does this happen often, in your judgement, or have you known of any actual case(s) where this has happened?

I ask because decisions about CC for most of us, since we are civilians, should be practical; by that I mean they should be made on the basis of likely scenarios, not abstract possibilities. I know some self defense instructors promote skill development beyond the limits of our likely experiences; such instruction would be better suited for LEOs and military troops who are confronted with different situations than we are. Your example seems to be more appropriate for a professional combatant who works in an environment where they are often the target for an intentional kill shot.

Thanks.
I would doubt if it happens very often but then again, I would not want to be the example of the rarity of this taking place. As for;

"I ask because decisions about CC for most of us, since we are civilians, should be practical; by that I mean they should be made on the basis of likely scenarios, not abstract possibilities."

My take is to try my best to envision the widest set of possibilities that I can, then use that as my guide. True, some things are much less likely to become reality than others, but it is usually those things which we either didn't plan for or consider that catch us off guard and in the case of criminal attacks, could cost us dearly.

My position on carrying in full battery or with an empty chamber is simple. I view it as a personal choice. However when the question is raised on an open forum, then the requester is game for whatever ensues.... hopefully with a decent measure of civility tossed in. In other words, the opinions will flow and well they should when such questions are posed. Still, it IS the individual's choice and decision to take and no one else's and I completely respect that.

Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; 02-01-2013 at 14:19..