View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 18:28   #32
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
QFT
I have an XDs and it will get a diet of 230 HPs, because it doesn't need the velocity to do what it's good at. I figure the HP has a profile that is more likely to cut than slip through and if it were to have enough velocity to "Over penetrate" it would probably have the velocity to expand and not over penetrate.
I reckon I am not PC savvy enough to know what "QFT" means yet ... haha !

If your saying that 45's don't have to run at rocket speed to dispatch the target or threat (two legged) your correct. And the 230gr have the momentum to get where they need to go.

Thats why "in town," I carry one. Usually the M1911, sometimes the single stack G36. I admit I do hand load my own for the G36, because I have never found factory stuff that get's out of the 600's-700's fps range in that 3.78" tube, so I load a 230gr XTP at 907fps. Does it it need to be that warm? nope. Does it hurt to be? Nope! It is what my favorite load and powder worked out to be in that short barrel, so I gladly accept it ! I'm happy with that. 850 + is fine with me in a 230gr 45acp. I just can't justify lighter bullets in this caliber to get there.

Like you, it seems, are saying pard, the 230gr does what it needs to do without going to lighter bullets, or pushing it to outragous vels.

Stay safe.

CanyonMan

http://www.prorodeo.com/

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 01-27-2013 at 18:31..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote