View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 20:54   #18
ScottieG59

I am not for mandated solutions. In some cases, such as with foster parents, part of the home inspection is showing how firearms, ammo, medications, chemicals, knives, etc.. are secured. The other issue, even the absence of new laws, there is tort law.

I have read of too many cases where a mentally unstable person steals guns from relatives.

When I was a younger and poorer gun owner, I did things like put additional locks on closet doors. I removed the bolts from my bolt action rifles and I was always armed. Back then, my fear was one of my kids getting to my guns or a burglar shooting me with my own gun.

If you look at the push behind a lot of legislation dealing with safety, there is a period in which others failed to conduct reasonable practices. Look at how factories and US car makers had to be forced. We should do our best to avoid that fate.

Today, I am armed everywhere I can legally carry. I am at home right now, and I have my Kahr PM9 with 2 extra mags on my person. My Glock 19 with 2 extra mags are in a lockbox at my side. When I leave, all, except for what I carry, goes into a large and heavy safe that is wedge bolted to a concrete floor in my locked "man cave."

I do this to deter theft, to protect my curious children and to protect my valuable property from fire.

Years ago, we left our rifles on wall mounted racks in the living room or in a glass front gun case. In time I learned better security. A friend of mine had a three year old nephew who found his father's revolver and ammo despite it being kept separate and on the top shelves of the closet. He figured out how to load the handgun, but apparently, he could not reach the trigger. The investigation concluded that the child turned the revolver around and sneezed the trigger with his thumbs, discharging the weapon and accidentally killing himself.

It is too easy for things to happen.

Basically, if we do not do what we can, within what we can afford, we will be told what to do.

I do not seek legislation or restrictions. I want standards to be established so we know what is the right thing.

For example, I work in a secure facility that has controlled access that varies according to the sensitivity of activities in the sections. The government, with the help of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), has established standards by which things are classified and the standards required to meet appropriate protection.

Similar standards exist in private industry and some are based on NIST publications. In home security, we are left to trust vendors. In particular, home safes can be good or bad and we do not have a standard to reference in determining how our options really compare. Other industries have established published standards. In home security, we are left to having to trust our gut feelings. Again, because the private industry failed to step forward, the president is going to have a study done by bias political cronies.

This is why I say that we do our part and leave the federal government to dealing with national defense.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote