View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 16:12   #5
TDC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
Holding us accountable isn't gun grabbing. It's common sense.
I'm glad that you're so willing to follow "common sense." The problem is not those who are willing, but those who force it upon the population by decree.

So, the first law requires that all guns must be secured under lock and key. Then, someone breaks into that locked closet and commits a crime with one of those guns. Next, the state declares that guns must be secured in a state-approved safe. Some people won't be able to afford a state-approved safe, and everyone knows that safes, while a deterrent, are not impossible to break into. So when that fails, the state declares that all guns must be kept at a state-approved gun club. Until eventually, the state declares that it's common sense to just be rid of all guns.

That's pretty close to how it went down in England. For every one of these "common sense" ideas that the state gets to incrementally encroach upon your 2A rights, what do you get in exchange? What's that? Nothing? That's right. You, Mr. Reasonable, Mr. Responsible, Mr. Common Sense, you give up your rights one little bit at a time. And if you refuse, you're labeled a psychotic, mouth-breathing, gunnut, red-neck moron.

I am not against securing firearms by any means. I have a very expensive safe that will keep the meth addicts away from my guns, but it probably won't stop a professional. I don't leave guns around and unsecured when children are present, and neither should anyone else. These are good practices that everyone should follow, but by letting the state decree this or that, and subtly label it as "common sense", we head down the slippery slope to eventually losing our 2A rights, under the banner of "common sense."