View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 12:30   #108
LuckyG

I'v already stated my own opinion and preference for one up the snout earlier. However, there is another alternative for folks who don't want to carry with a round in the chamber. However, it's not a Glock.

There are a number of DA/SA pattern handguns out there that have the true safety lever. Sig would be an example of a decocker and Beretta B92F an example of a safety/decocker.

For those who don't know the details, a DECOCKER safely decocks the hammer and the spring returns the decocker, trigger and firing mechanism to it's ready DA position. Pull trigger and gun fires DA mode.

A SAFETY lever decocks the hammer, disconnects the trigger and the lever then remains in the down position (no spring loading). Pull trigger and nothing happens, also a steel block remains between the firing pin and hammer. To fire, the SAFETY lever has to be manually moved upwards and the trigger pulled.

In other words, if you don't like a live round chambered, a DA/SA with a true safety would effectively give you the same level of comfort as an empty chamber. The trigger is disconnected and the steel block is in place. All it takes is a thumb flick up to fire, not a racking of the slide.

This type of gun is popular with some guys that work corrections, bookings or other jobs that require the person to be armed (safety on/down), but in close proximity to bad guys that may want your gun. Of course, many shooters don't like DA/SA guns so this is not an option.

While these types of discussions are always interesting, civilians are fortunate enough to have a wide range of individual choices. You get to make yours and I get to make mine, which is the way it should be.