View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 05:36   #47
D.S.Brown

Those of you, (referencing the universal "you" throughout this post), that carry unchambered, learn about the Tueller drill. The short version is that from 7 yards, (21ft), a reasonably healthy person can cover that distance in a second and be plunging a knife in your chest repeatedly, by the time you drew your gun. It does NOT factor in having to rack the slide to chamber a round. Oh and as mentioned that's at 7 yards (21 feet). Research tells me your average armed encounter the VAST majority of time will occur at 3 to 4 yards, (9 to 12 feet).

So as your struggling to fend off an attack, possibly after being stabbed with a knife, pummeled with a club, or hit with a closed fist, (presumably by a rather large person), your going to have the presence of mind to, under GREAT stress, manually rack that slide by hooking the rear sight to your belt and pushing down? Not even close to likely when you consider the latter arguably is a fine motor skill, that on the calm of a practice range while standing up is not the easiest task to perform.

In the above scenario your gun WILL become a club! And in the above scenario we haven't even considered multiple attackers.

As far as CRIMINALLY NEGLIGENT DISCHARGES, where you've elected to use the trigger as a finger rest, and violate the safety rules, well this is a training issue where you commit yourself to abiding by the safety rules 110,000% of the time you are even in the presence of a gun, notably KEEPING YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU ARE AIMING ON TARGET READY TO SHOOT.

The ONLY "accidental discharge" is perhaps when you get klutzy and accidentally fumble a gun in your hands, drop it and it discharges upon impact with the floor/ground. Most high quality guns made in the last thirty years have at least one, but more likely two internal passive safeties to mitigate against this. I might even allow for it happening during a reholstering in a holster that has some design flaw. This is VERY RARE. Likewise if in reholstering your finger is resting on the trigger and the gun discharges, you have committed a CRIMINALLY NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE. Anytime a finger is remotely on a trigger takes away from the possibility of an "accidental discharge."

The carriage and use of firearms requires a heightened sense of awareness, especially when handling a gun, and keeping your finger off the trigger until on target ready to shoot. If you find yourself letting your finger drift onto the trigger when not ready to shoot, and you absolutely cannot make yourself aware of this eventually tragic habit, then I submit, as I tell my students, that perhaps you'll be better served with pepper spray. I don't mean this as a slight or insult, but as strong advice to keep you and others safe. I see people at the range all the time clueless as to where there finger is, doing administrative reloads with finger on the trigger, and racking the slide with finger on the trigger. These two are the most common. If you do these things you are UNSAFE with a gun. If you are clueless that you do these things with a gun you are DOUBLY UNSAFE!

Carrying with a round chambered and preventing criminally negligent discharges are a matter of taking personal responsibility for seeking training lightyears beyond whatever intro to handguns and or concealed handgun class you've taken.

I'm talking about a 1 or 2 day defensive handgun class with a reputable trainer, (I didn't say famous just reputable), who makes a large part of their living doing this. This class will teach you how to shoot and manipulate your gun under stress, and instill good habits. You'll usually shoot more than a few hundred rounds in the class. Of course the class will likely cost more than a few hundred dollars if it is multi day class, and that doesn't factor in travel, meals and bullets.

And no, having your a relative and/or friend that was in the military and/or a police officer to show you how to operate your gun is a BAD idea, unless that persons job in the military and/or police was to TRAIN people how to use handguns, and they had taken/received highly specialized training to LEARN how to instruct people. Again I see it all the time on the range someone with military and or law enforcement with marginal handgun skills, passing along these "skills" to a clueless new shooter. The blind leading the blind. Just because someone was in the infantry, (I was), doesn't mean they know how to shoot a handgun effectively. The same for law enforcement. The county sheriffs office I worked for had us qualify with a Glock 17 once a year, didn't matter if you worked the jail, served high risk warrants, or worked our inter agency drug task force, you qualified ONCE a year. The knowledge I really gained on how to shoot, and teach people, I sought out and mostly paid for myself, save for an instructor certification from a gun range I still work at part time.

If you can afford a gun, and a concealed handgun class, you can afford to take a class, and learn how to actually operate your gun. How can you afford not to? At the end of the day if you don't seek professional training to increase your skill set, and practice those skills frequently then you are fooling yourself in believing you'll magically prevail in the gunfight you've never trained for, AND you'll continue to be UNSAFE.

And all of this was the candy coated version.

Best,

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by D.S.Brown; 01-25-2013 at 05:39..