View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 10:12   #80
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank2 View Post
Hi,

For me it is quite effective, but I usually load the same headstamp so that removes the large weight variation with multiple types of brass. I usually do it for extra peace of mind and it only takes a few minutes with a digital scale at the same time I case gauge check them. I can't remember a time where the spread was so large that it wouldn't have easily let me pick out a squib or double.

Good luck,

Alan
MAybe, if you use all the same headstamp & heavy enough charge wts that a double registers. IME, like 100Krds of 45acp worth, you can't verify a dbl w/ small charges under 5gr w/ any reliabilty. It's a false sense of security. Take a popular TG load, 4gr. Bullets can be off 1/2gr, cases can vary buy 2-3gr, even in the same manuf. So now you are looking for 4gr diff w/ 3.5gr variation, not gonna happen.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 01-24-2013 at 10:15..
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote