Thread: The .40 sucks.
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 09:36   #158
lowflyer
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD View Post
You must be one of those guys who knows more than the ammo or powder companies and says his handloads work just fine.

You can't do what you say with acceptable pressures. Hodgdon says max with a 4" barrel is:
135gr/1434 fps/31,900 psi
155gr/1283 fps/31,900 psi

The 165 gr number you quote is really out of line.

Loads like that are another reason people shouldn't shoot others reloads. Accelerated gun wear or possibly worse. Don
I formerly made a living at one of these companies developing those numbers and can attest that they are conservative guidelines. I can't speak for Hodgdon. However, in my experience, loading guide numbers were designed to keep the handloading individual out of trouble, taking into account the known variability in the performance of the powder and components. Exceeding the max values is done at your own risk, but that does not mean exceeding them will automatically cause harm. It just means the powder company defined boundaries in the performance envelope within which it would accept some liability risk.

Nobody should ever let another person shoot their reloads in any gun for any reason. It just isn't smart.