View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 07:25   #115
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Wow..
I've ripped briefly through the discussion that ensued since this morning.

I am as much a 2nd amendment advocate as anyone.
What we are discussing here though is an agreement you make voluntarily with an employer.
They tell you up front when you are negotiating for employment "we don't allow firearms on our property, including the parking lot".

Then they give you the opportunity to agree to abide by that policy or refuse to be their employee.

I don't care for that policy nor the attitude behind it, but it's their billion-dollar investment.

No one is forced to work there, they agree with VW on the terms of that employment.
I don't disagree with you. But on the other hand, the company is now dictating how you have to be off their property, to and from work. This is where I get the rub. Because of their policy on the property, it prohibits me off their property. I admit I don't have the answer.

Quote:
About my comment that "insurance companies run this country"..
I did not say that an insurance company dictates the specific policy to forbid guns on company property (though they may for all I know)..
I was only commenting on the average/typical corporate attitude regarding anything that someone in management (the employer or the insurance company's management) may deem to be a risk of liability.
I apologize if I seemed rather harsh in my earlier comments about this. Your comment was not out of line; however, it is made by many frequently here and other forums. It is generally false (as with anything, there are exceptions; however, I have never seen any.). Having knowledge of these commercial insurance contracts, there is no provision/exclusion for firearms on the premises. Again, it is a scapegoat for a business/organization to use to shift the blame onto someone else.

Quote:
About 10 years ago I did an automation design project at the Mercedes facility in Alabama.

The day before I arrived someone had a shotgun in their truck, with the deal to trade or sell to another employee. When the guy brought the shotgun out of his truck he had a negligent discharge, putting holes in the side of someone's car.

Does that mean no one should be allowed to have firearms in their car on Mercedes' property? Of course not, but Mercedes' management doesn't see it that way.
(there was an existing policy against guns in the parking lot at that time)
You can be assured that this was reported to Mercedes' insurance company, and you can be damn sure that the insurance company had a sit-down meeting with Mercedes' management regarding enforcement of that policy.

Their property, their rules.

I was told by a Mercedes employee, but don't know/wasn't there to see it that they had gun-sniffing dogs walked through the parking lot from time to time.
Knowing Mercedes security as I do (or did at the time) I can easily believe it.
Regarding the underlined, I doubt it was reported to their carrier. These organizations, especially multi-billion ones, generally have some level of self-insurance; for this size it wouldn't be surprising to see a minimum of $1 million to $10 million of self-insurance. Subsequently, there was no convo between the insurance co and Mercedes. However, did leadership within Mercedes have a convo with HR and erected/further develop a plan to help prevent this in the future.....oh, I wouldn't doubt it in the least. Did the corporate legal beagles discuss it for liability reasons, probably.

My whole deal with this subject is when does someone else rights over-ride mine? In this case, I voluntarily sign up with VW, does that mean I give up my rights to carry to/from work? As of right now, in some states, yep.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. Mullah (aka El Ron)
R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote