View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 20:49   #8
muzzledown42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswiss View Post
so i heard on the radio today that "the country has turned to the left/liberal"

and that the "tea party/republican/bitter white old men" type has had its last "gasp"

and that the country has seen the last of it and now its shifted left and liberal permanently and that its irreversable.

not sure how i feel about that statement other than that if it turned left it can turn around again and go right,

"permenently center left" i think is not possible or permanent in any direction is not possible,

what do yall think of that persons statements?
Nothing is irreversible in politics. However, the demographic trend lines are not going in favor of the GOP. Obama carried the Hispanic vote, the young vote, the women's vote, the Asian vote and, of course, the black vote by margins ranging from significant to huge. Republicans control the House right now only because of their surge in 2010 allowing them to gerrymander their way to majorities in localized elections. This is nothing new in terms of observation. It is likely the Democrats will win the next presidential election unless the GOP can begin the task of broadening its appeal. Immigration reform will probably be their first foray into such a broadening. Whether the GOP can become competitive in the female vote may hinge on whether it can dampen the ideological zeal of its anti-abortion base. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
muzzledown42 is offline   Reply With Quote