View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 19:58   #4
Three-Five-Seven
Seņor Mombo

The trigger doesn't reset until you take your finger off it. Lighter loads make the gun easier to control.

Now, to the OP.

I load a number of calibers for several guns. I load 38-55 for long range competition. I load 38-40 for action competition. I load 38 special for eight revolvers and four rifles. I load 45 acp for five 1911s.

Some of the guns have distinct "personalities." This is especially true with obsolete cartridges, which never had any SAMMI standards to adhere to. I have, particularly, had to adjust bullet seating to make things work in particular guns. But, also, shoulder set-back sometimes has to be done differently for different guns.

So, when I run a series of loads, it is always with a specific gun in mind and adjustments are done accordingly.

I have several braces of rifles/pistols that require different intensity rounds for different guns. I have a difficult time holding onto my model P pistols with full house BP loads in the 38-40. So, for that, I have to use fillers to bring the intensity of the loads down.

I often shoot different loads with different bullet weights in rifles and pistols.

I think you adopt a gun rather than purchasing it. Once you get it home and take it to the range, it starts to tell you its individual story and personality. In order to be competitive, I really have to "listen" carefully to each gun.

This is the main reason why I reload. You could never find store-bought ammo for some of the guns I shoot. And, if you could, you certainly couldn't afford it.