View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 00:51   #336
spcwes

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDivideByZero View Post
While I do not generally agree with the paranoid rantings that seem way too common on GT, it isn't as though police seizure of law abiding citizens' firearms isn't without precedence:

Hurricane Katrina - Confiscation of Civilian Firearms

I know that not everyone followed orders blindly (I remember reading somewhere that an Army unit refused to, stating that it was a constitutionally unlawful order), but enough obeyed to seize over a thousand privately owned firearms ...
I can tell you this, my officers didn't confiscate **** while we were there. Further, the only police I even heard about doing so were New Orleans PD and California State Police. There might have been more but I actually had not even thought about it until right now.

Regardless it is not a common police ideal to run around and take peoples guns. I am sorry to bust all the bubbles that seem to be floating around about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
So how many of the approximately 34000 NYC police will not take people's guns? I guess we now have a test case in NY to see if what you guys keep telling us about police is true.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Not sure on this one and I actually do not know anyone currently working for NYC. I would hope some would have common sense but that is not always the case.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-
spcwes is offline   Reply With Quote