View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 11:02   #38
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
I expect a mass produced barrel will have the chamber and leade cut in one pass with a reamer ground to shape.

The SAAMI specification is for a 2 deg 35 min taper from the chamber mouth into the rifling with no cylindrical throat as commonly seen in rifle chambers.

A chamber without that tapered leade is incomplete and incorrect.
You can accomodate it by seating all the bearing surface down in the case but might see leading or coppering as the bullet slams into the abrupt start of the rifling.

A real accurizing gunsmith will cut the leade and maybe even a throat* separately, either to suit the customer's ammo, or he will recommend ammunition.

*"Throating" a 1911 has come to mean grinding on the other end of the chamber for the purpose of feeding odd bullet shapes. Those old time accurizing gunsmiths would refer to that as "ramping" because they were "throating" the front of the chamber for a good entry into the rifling.
Boy, you aint kidding. I have a little leading just at the beginning of the rifling as you will see in the pics.

After a little reading on Stephen A. Camp's sight, I found that I probably have a two piece barrel. I don't know how that effects the reaming process. The seam is obvious on the outside of the barrel, but not the inside where it counts, so I can't tell where one piece ends and the other begins inside the chamber.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote