View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 10:33   #736
blueiron
Clown move, bro

I don't care for inexpensive plastic or synthetic stocks for the M1/M14 system. The barreled receiver fits into the stock group and is locked in place by the trigger group. The problem comes when the barrel/receiver group does not fit tightly into the stock group and it shifts around. When it shifts during recoil/counter-recoil, the barrel/receiver group never returns to the same resting point as the shot before and accuracy is horrible.

Because there are many different manufacturers of the rifle; Springfield, Winchester, H&R, etc., the stock has to be made large to fit most actions and this magnifies the above problem. To fix this, the rifle then has to be bedded using Acra-glas, Liquid Steel, or a similar product. The next problem comes when the now bedded rifle is field stripped for cleaning and the disassembly process destroys the now tight tolerances.

When I bedded my M1A for service rifle matches, it was to a standard walnut stock, but only after I had done all the work necessary to the rifle. Since doing it in the 90s, the rifle has never been disassembled for cleaning. On a target only rifle, this is perfectly fine.

If you want a synthetic stock, buy from McMillan or a high end manufacturer who watches their tolerances closely and has reinforced recoil shoulders in the stock.

Dear God, this is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. It's got to rank right up there with CALEA. -Pepper45
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote