View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 09:04   #173
BSA70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lee View Post
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, since I'm trying to help, but once you acquire this level of non-threatening posture toward timid people, you'll look back in hindsight and realize it's kind of like the way Hugh Hefner isn't afraid to wear a pink shirt. It won't make you any less of a confident Marine/man. It will make you more of a man. (not the pink shirt, but the attitude)

Sheep tend to develop great love and respect for those large men who could easily kick almost anyone's ass, yet display a personality that would never want to frighten anyone who isn't asking/needing to be frightened. You can easily do this while at the same time making it obvious to everyone that if push came to shove, you would not hesitate to be as aggressive as the situation required if confronted by someone who really needs to be intimidated for defensive reasons.
I fully understand what you are saying and you have nailed it. I'm a LEO and see all kinds of officers. It's hard to do, you maintain strong respect from the citizens, but on the other hand, be polite, courtesous, and well liked. Not many can do that.

Of course, a lot is with you deal with. I have a supervisor that early in his career, dealt with marines in every situation you can imagine. Polite and nice was out the door. Some of the language he used was atrocious but par for the course where he was stationed.

Last edited by BSA70; 01-12-2013 at 09:05..
BSA70 is offline   Reply With Quote