Thread: .44spl
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 15:29   #33
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
If I only owned one gun & it was a 44mag, I would reload for it. Cost of 44mag ammo is outragious & you are pretty much stuck w/ full power ammo. Not needed for punching paper & hard on guns. You also don't need an expensive progressive to effectively feed a 44mag. Loading 100rds a week is easily/cheaply done on a ss press or turret. Few will shoot more than 100rds a week in 44mag, even reduced loads. With lead bullets, you are shooting 44mags for about $6/box of 50. There is nothing a jacketed bullet brings to the party w/ the 44mag, lead bullets rule in big bores.
Since I already own an XL650, I can't see using a single stage press at this point (even though I have one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp2002813 View Post
agreed.

"If I only had one gun..." I am coming around to that idea. I am very nostalgic for .357, but the .44spl/mag is just so much fun and versatile! The only difficulty I have is concealing a N frame. Winter ok, but summer?

But, can you really reload in an apartment? I have all the equipment, except the dyes, cases and powder. Is it wise to reload in an apartment setting? Anyone?
I did. I lived in an apartment for 3 years. I had an old coffee table in the back of the living room, that was pretty robust. During everyday life, the coffee table was covered with a nice table cloth. When I needed to reload, the cover came off and a RCBS Rock Chucker attached to it with some bolts and wing nuts (the press and supplies were stored on the shelves under the table). It's doable if you're creative.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote