View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 09:16   #212
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
For the past several years we've deferred from visiting Europe because the Euro was so expensive.
"The Euro" isn't expensive. That's now how currency conversions work. Yes, 1 euro is worth a bit more than 1 dollar, but that's irrelevant. 1 dollar is worth about 90 yen. The number itself doesn't matter. Japan is one of the most expensive countries in the world.

It's the prices that matter, and there are cheap and expensive places you can go that both use Euros. Visit Paris and you'll be paying a lot. Visit Slovenia and you'll be paying a lot fewer of the same Euros for everything.

Quote:
Do I wish I could demand my job pay me in Euros or Chinese RMBs instead of dollars? Absolutely.
Why would you possibly want that? The RMB was pegged against the USD for most of its history, and only recently has the Chinese government been cautiously allowing it to float. The Euro has fluctuated wildly with the economic crisis of the last few years.

Besides, if you live in the US and get paid in Euros, you have to convert them before you can buy anything. That's kind of the reason why currency conversion exists, and why so many trade flows are denominated in dollars--because the US still makes a lot of what the world wants to buy.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote