View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 05:56   #198
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
I'm guessing you participate in a public pension too since you jumped back in to wave the stupid flag. I mostly ignored this earlier but we can go ahead and pick it apart since you're back in.
Absolutely in a public pension. 16 years years ago, when I first got in, the pension system told me that if I participated, they promised certain levels of retirement benefits. And in return, I agreed that I would contribute 7.5-percent of my pay, for the next 25 years. Of continuous service. And so a bargain was struck. If today, after 16 years of meeting their every demand and requirement, the pension system says "sorry, we're eliminating or decreasing your promised pension" you're darn right I'd fight.

Also, because for the past 16 years I've relied on their pension promise, my pension is an important part of my retirement plans.

Compensate me fairly today, for giving up my pension tomorrow? I'd seriously consider it. But if they can't compensate me fairly, and because for the past 16 years I've relied on their promises, I'm going to make sure I get everything that was promised me.

Quote:
Excellent example. The congress could end either of those programs tomorrow if they could grow a set of balls or believe they could weather the political storm. Period. End of story.

Social Security and medicare are nothing more than tax and spend entitlement welfare programs with a super powerful lobby.
Not to mention SS and medicare are mandatory enrollment. I never had a choice to opt out of SS. If I could get all my principle back from SS (Im not even asking for interest that began in 1978) today and not be part of it tomorrow, I would. SS was never part of my retirement plans, so I couldn't care less if it is eliminated all together.

Quote:
Of course. You think a legislature is somehow bound to purchase toilet paper on a multiyear contract that is iron clad?

Yes. Those can certainly be defunded. Hell, DOD cancels new weapons all the time. There are threads right here on GT about it.

Without a doubt. In fact, Louisiana is currently considering this very thing with its old Charity Hospital system. After Katrina, the VA Hospital in New Orleans never re-opened.

The legislature has no constitutional requirement to fund a Level I trauma center. What was that about?

The Congress can absolutely defund federal agencies. Do you not remember the talk of the Republican House defunding Obamacare?

Do you know that there is a current law providing for a department to work with convicted felons who have served their time and wish to have their constitutional rights re-instated?

It has no funding.

There is no such thing as a multi year binding contract with the government.
These are just examples of different government contracts and projects where it's easier for some to be cancelled without repercussions than others.

Yes, Gov't have a right to cancel/defund. Fine. Let them.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 01-06-2013 at 11:52..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote